[Dovecot] understanding user_attrs and mail_uid/gid

Vincent Zakofski vlamsdoem at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 11:23:27 EEST 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to understand what's the difference between those parameters.
In my dovecot.conf in the global section I have a definition of mail_uid
and mail_gid.
In my LDAP configuration used by passdb and userdb, I have a definition for
user_attrs= uidNumber=500,gidNumber=8.

Here is a part of my configuration files (dovecot version: 2.1.7)

dovecot.conf

mail_gid = 8
mail_uid = 500

passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  driver = ldap
}

userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  driver = ldap
}

dovecot-ldap.conf

user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(mailLocalAddress=%n))
user_attrs = uidNumber=500,gidNumber=8

So everything works fine when all those parameters are present in my
configuration files. If I suppress one of them nothing is working (mail
reading or delivering).

Can someone tell me where I can find a definition of those arguments, if
found nothing relevant on the wiki.

Thanks,