[Dovecot] mdbox - healthy rotation size vs default

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Sat Aug 24 11:47:56 EEST 2013

On 23.08.2013, at 14:17, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2013-08-22 9:57 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

>> I'd recommend mdbox as well, with a healthy rotation size.  The larger
>> files won't increase IMAP performance substantially but they can make
>> backup significantly quicker.
>
> I'm considering migrating to mdbox... wondering what you consider 'healthy' rotation size.
>
> I generally try to avoid changing defaults whenever possible, [...]

I am running "mdbox_rotate_size = 100m" for approx. a year now on a small server (a handful of users, only). All mailboxes are around 1G each with a lot of attachments. I never had an issue so far.

Don't ask me why I did chose 100m, I cannot remember ;-) Ok, if one of such mdbox files will become corrupt, I will loose a lot of mail, but on the other hand I am running two dovecot servers in parallel (replicator/dsync) and I do take hourly snapshots (ZFS) of my mail storage file system as well.

Regards,
Michael