[Dovecot] Dovecot Dsync

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Aug 23 15:08:04 EEST 2013

Hi

> I'm on an Ubuntu LTS release so the dovecot came from their release.
> I'd prefer to stay that way unless I really have to...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but "IMHO" this kind of
attitude is a huge detriment to most software projects.  I see very
little reason to take such policies personally...

1) I use virtualisation (especially lightweight virtualisation such as
vservers) so that each service is in its own container. Now if I have no
interest in some container and want to let it rot (ie as per LTS), then
I can just do so.
2) I use a fast moving rolling distro (gentoo in my case, Arch is
probably a good choice also) so that I have the option to stay up to
date when I want to

The end result is you can be as up to date as you want, or let things
rot, as you please.

Unfortunately if you want to use a very old bit of software, then you
also get to keep all it's bugs... Sorry.

Good luck!  Hope this inspires you to try a different route!

Ed W