[Dovecot] Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Aug 20 02:55:36 EEST 2013

Am 20.08.2013 01:45, schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
> On 8/19/2013 4:10 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> may i suggest you read about how IMAP IDLE works?
>
> Oh, well sure, if you hang your hat on IDLE then your arguments here
> might make sense.  But because of the brain dead one socket per folder
> architecture of IDLE few have adopted it en masse.  Which is why my
> comments ignored the existence of IDLE.  And which is also why the
> creators of the RFC stated clients must not count on the existence of
> IDLE and must poll, which seems really odd.  Many have, and still ask,
> why even have IDLE then if we must still poll?
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177
>
> "(While the spec actually does allow a server to push EXISTS responses
> aysynchronously, a client can't expect this behaviour and must poll.)"
>
> Given the option of potentially dozens of open sockets between his
> server and any client simply to allow IDLE to work for all folders, or
> one or two connections and strictly client polling, I'd guess most
> admins will choose the latter

why we have IDLE is easy explained, i get around 500 mails per day
well, i can't imagine my personal work-load woking without IDLE

30 folders sorted with Sieve

* several lists with own folders
* company (there folders, one for internal lists)
* customers
* vendors
* server-status (logwatch, mail-stats of 20 servers)
* error-notifies from watchdog (own cron-watchdogs, HP ILO, VMware vSphere, UPS...)

INBOX is a place where rarely a message comes in and with K9 on Android
it's easy to select which folders should be considered for the
common-inbox and which are pointless on a mobile (INBOX is none of them)

on a mailserver which can handle thousands of connections there
is rarely a reason to disable IDLE and so a connection limit
of 10 per IP is questionable