[Dovecot] Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Mon Aug 19 15:00:31 EEST 2013

All of a sudden I am getting these errors on one of my accounts:

imap-login: Info: Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded (mail_max_userip_connections=10)

It was working fine last night when I went to bed, and is posting these errors nearly constantly (about one every second) when I checked mail after waking up this morning.

The account is question is my main account and has a lot of mail, but it is not the account with the most mailboxes, that one is working fine.

I looked at the documentation on how to increase this setting, but <http://wiki.dovecot.org/MainConfig> is for 1.x and clicking the 'wiki2" link brings up a mostly blank page with no configuration info at all. It looks like in dovecot 1.x this would go in an protocol imap block, but I don't have one of those in my conf.

# doveconf -n
# 2.2.5: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE i386
auth_mechanisms = plain login
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_uid = 89
log_path = /var/log/dovecot
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox NotJunk {
    auto = subscribe
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {

--
'Never trust a ruler who puts his faith in tunnels and bunkers and
escape routes. The chances are that his heart isn't in the job.'