[Dovecot] Dovecot security

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed Aug 14 13:22:13 EEST 2013

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:17:12 +0100
Darac Marjal articulated:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 06:12:02AM +0000, Jay Khashan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > THIS IS URGENT
> >
> > I have Debian Linux machine which I installed as a mail server with
> > postfix, and dovecot. my mail server is setup to use SMTP relay. I
> > currently have ports 143, 995, 25 & SSMTP ports open. in the last
> > few days I have been under attack where email is being sent to fake
> > email address for example xxx at evg-mail.org which does not exist in
> > the mysql db.
> >
> >  I need to figure out and lock down dovecot, because I believe the
> > attack is some kind of virus /spyware. I need to know what
> > statement in dovecot.conf or main.cf (postfix) I can modify to lock
> > it down. Also open to install software to combat this kind of
> > attack. Let me know what configuration files, info do you need to
> > help out
>
> I think it's probably going to be more effective to "lock down"
> postfix (http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html)
> than it is to "lock down" dovecot
> (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/RestrictAccess).
>
> I think, if you want to accept the mail but then refuse to store it,
> you're looking at things from the wrong angle.

This problem would be better served on the Postfix forum. If you do
decide to post there, please follow the suggestions on:

Specifically:

Output from "postconf -n". Please do not send your main.cf file, or
500+ lines of postconf output.

Better, provide output from the postfinger tool. This can be found at
http://ftp.wl0.org/SOURCES/postfinger

--
Jerry ♔