[Dovecot] prevent dovecot from modifying maildirs

Fri Aug 9 20:48:59 EEST 2013

On 2013-08-09 1:43 PM, Felix Rubio Dalmau <felixrubiodalmau at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Actually the problem is that the snapshot is instantaneous, so if some commands are being run at the time of the snapshot I could get a snapshot of a non-consistent FS, right?

No, that is not right. If it was it would totally defeat the entire
purpose of snapshots (which *is* to get a consistent view of the
filesystem).

> Then, the single solution goes through just shuting down dovecot (and other services, like apache) the seconds required to perform the snapshot, whilst holding the postfix queues to ensure not loosing any mail.
>
> Does anybody have a better approach?

Yes - read up on how snapshots work (in your case ZFS snapshots) and
stop wasting brain cycles worrying about a non existent problem.

As I said earlier, the only exception to this consistency question is
with SQL databases.

--

Best regards,

*/Charles /*