[Dovecot] Expunged message reappeared, giving a new UID

Simon Fraser srf at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Aug 6 18:58:31 EEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 16:45 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > Weird, I was sure that would have worked. Well, maybe rawlogs would
> show something interesting. I should probably add a proper option for
> them, but attached a patch to enable for now. Be sure to
> mkdir /tmp/dsync-rawlogs with enough write permissions (e.g. 0777)

I've added that patch and I'm getting:
Aug 16:18:48 intmail3a dovecot: doveadm: Error: Don't give mail location
with -d parameter
Aug  6 16:18:48 intmail3a dovecot: doveadm(srf): Error: Saved sync state
is invalid, falling back to full sync: Input too small

Presumably it's thinking the "-r /tmp/dsync-rawlog" is a mail location?
I've tried changing its location in the appends, but it doesn't make a
difference.

> Oh and do it on both the servers and send me all the logs from both
> servers. Hopefully it contains only the one deletion test case and no
> extra stuff. :)
>
> Also, instead of using IMAP client to delete the mail, try something like:
>
> doveadm expunge -u user at domain mailbox INBOX subject testmail

That successfully expunges a message, without it reappearing.

> Because I was thinking that with IMAP it first sets the \Deleted flag,
> which triggers replication. Then it immediately does EXPUNGE which
> deletes the mail locally, but I was thinking that now remote dsync
> also triggered because of the flag change and notices the the mail is
> gone and puts it back. But locking should have avoided that. Also
> disabling replication on the remote side should have avoided that.

Seems plausible. I tried again disabling replication on the second node
to make sure I hadn't made an error - I removed 'replication' from
mail_plugins and the plugins section of the lmtp and lda services, and
removed the 'service replicator' block, but I'm afraid it's still
there.

I'm currently digging around with replication over ssh, to see if it
still happens that way.

Simon.