[Dovecot] Custom quota setup

Richard Platel rplatel at tucows.com
Fri Aug 2 18:15:09 EEST 2013

(Dovecot 2.2-ee)

We have a weird quota requirement, we have file storage that we manage through our own APIs but want that usage to come out of the user's mail quota.

The usage is in a maildirsize like file uncreatively called filestoresize in the user's maildir.

In the past we've been doing this by modifying the quota plugin and re-compiling, but it seems like it should be possible to do this via configuration.

Is there a way to add a quota setting pointing at this file for additional usage (not limits)?

The feature is used infrequently so it would probably be acceptable use the dirsize backend, but I can't figure out how to configure that to point at a certain directory.

We pass custom quota rules for each user in our userdb, and use a custom dict proxy program, so that program could read the file and pass a setting at log in time too (if, for example, there was a setting that said "offset the user's quota usage by X amount")

Thanks.