[Dovecot] misconception in uid and gid

Axel Luttgens AxelLuttgens at swing.be
Thu Aug 1 18:50:33 EEST 2013

Le 1 août 2013 à 15:43, Felix Rubio Dalmau a écrit :

> [...]
>
> Nevertheless, if I remove the segments "'vmail' AS uid, 'vmail' AS gid" and modify the file conf.d/10-mail.conf to show
>
> 	mail_uid = vmail
> 	mail_gid = vmail
>
> I get this error:
>
> 	dovecot: auth: Error: userdb(<mail>): client doesn't have lookup permissions for this user: userdb reply doesn't contain uid (change userdb socket permissions)
>
> Does anybody know what is wrong in my set-up?

Hello Felix,

Yes and no...
This still remains a bit unclear to me, but you could try something like this:

	service auth {

		unix_listener auth-userdb {

					# default: user = $default_internal_user
			group = vmail	# default: group =
			mode = 0660	# default: mode = 0666
		}
	}

The code has some provisions to avoid the auth-userdb to be too widely open, in spite of that default mode 0666. Changing that mode short-circuits those provisions, and the above is the most secure setting I could think of in the case of a single uid/gid setup.

HTH,
Axel