[Dovecot] Multiple instances

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Fri Mar 30 16:03:19 EEST 2012

Sorry to respond to an old post, but I've just recently begun implementing
multiple instances to facilitate our director proxies running along with
our normal dovecot config on the same servers in the cluster.

This is a VERY useful feature Timo, it may need just a little refinement.

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> # doveadm instance remove proxy

Hmm...maybe I'm doing something wrong or expecting the wrong behavior, but
when I do this, while it dissapears from doveadm, it still responds to
pop/imap requests, and the process continues to run.

Is remove supposed to be different than say, "stop"?

> It would be possible to add commands to start/shutdown some/all
> instances using doveadm, but is it all that useful? I'd guess people
> would have their own init.d scripts anyway doing that.

Eh, in a FreeBSD port-build environment, I have to hack something in place
in the rc script that gets installed, and then make sure to duplicate it
every time I upgrade dovecot...not ideal.

So, if dovecot had some sort of mechanism in the main config file to alert
it of the additional instances to start and their config files, that would
be nice.

Or, if you were to add a "instance_enable" switch in the config files and
then have dovecot scan the /usr/local/etc/dovecot directory for
appropriate config files to automatically parse.

I dunno, it doesn't feel right to push the startup of the additional
instances outside of dovecot. For example, consider postfix's master.cf
file.

BTW somebody needs to poke the dovecot port maintaner, he still has
2.0.18, I had to manually update the port to get 2.1.3.

> Anything else that could be useful related to this?

Yes...we should probably be able to start instances back up as well.

Other then that, looks good. Definitely a great feature.

Thanks,
Andy

---
Andy Dills