[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.1.3 Proxy creates mailbox on proxy

Ed Nitido ednitido at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 23:18:12 EET 2012

Hey all,

I've upgraded from a working Dovecot 2.0.17 Proxy with a master user setup
to Dovecot 2.1.3 and I've merged my conf settings from 2.0.17 into 2.1.3.

I'm able to start up dovecot proxy and telnet localhost, however it creates
the users home director on the proxy server instead of going to the backend
dovecot server
(which has already been successfully upgraded to 2.1.3 from 2.0.17).

In my old 2.0.17, I had the entire namespace section commented out in
10-mail.conf.
To achieve the same in 2.1.3 I had to remove the file 15-mailboxes.conf,
otherwise my error log would have the following if I just commented out the
namespace section and left that file in place:

*Error: user edward at dev.domain.com: Initialization failed: namespace
configuration error: inbox=yes namespace missing*
*Error: Invalid user settings. Refer to server log for more information.*

So now I'm trying to figure out why the proxy doesn't get the mail server
IP from director, when doveadm has the backend server listed

*# doveadm director status*
*mail server ip       vhosts
                                            users*
*192.168.12.205    100
                                          0*

Can anyone see something I've missed?

Here's my doveconf output:

# 2.1.3: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64 i686 Debian 6.0.4
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_socket_path = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/auth-master
auth_verbose = yes
debug_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-debug.log
director_doveadm_port = 542
director_mail_servers = 192.168.12.205
director_servers = 192.168.12.209
disable_plaintext_auth = no
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log
listen = *
lmtp_proxy = yes
log_path = /var/log/dovecot-err.log
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = vmail
mail_location = maildir:%h/Maildir
mail_plugins = " quota"
mail_uid = vmail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
passdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile
  acl_shared_dict = file:/home/%d/shared-mailboxes
  quota = maildir:User quota
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
  sieve = %h/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
  sieve_max_actions = 32
  sieve_max_redirects = 4
  sieve_max_script_size = 1M
  sieve_quota_max_scripts = 0
  sieve_quota_max_storage = 0
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at dev.domain.com
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
quota_full_tempfail = yes
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0666
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    mode = 0666
    user = dovecot
  }
}
service director {
  fifo_listener login/proxy-notify {
    mode = 0666
  }
  inet_listener {
    port = 541
  }
  inet_listener {
    port = 542
  }
  unix_listener director-userdb {
    mode = 0600
  }
  unix_listener login/director {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
service imap-login {
  executable = imap-login director
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 143
  }
}
service lmtp {
  inet_listener lmtp {
    port = 24
  }
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    user = postfix
  }
}
service managesieve-login {
  executable = managesieve-login director
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
  process_min_avail = 0
  service_count = 1
  vsz_limit = 64 M
}
service pop3-login {
  executable = pop3-login director
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 110
  }
}
ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.key
userdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
userdb {
  args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/%d/%u
  driver = static
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol lmtp {
  auth_socket_path = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/director-userdb
  mail_plugins = " quota quota sieve"
  passdb {
    args = proxy=y nopassword=y port=24
    driver = static
  }
}
protocol lda {
  info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-lda.log
  log_path = /var/log/dovecot-lda-errors.log
  mail_plugins = " quota sieve"
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = " quota imap_quota imap_acl acl"
}
protocol sieve {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 10
  mail_plugins =
  managesieve_implementation_string = Dovecot Pigeonhole
  managesieve_logout_format = bytes=%i/%o
  managesieve_max_compile_errors = 5
  managesieve_max_line_length = 65536
  managesieve_notify_capability =