[Dovecot] sieve and utf-7 foldernames

Andreas Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Fri Mar 9 23:40:16 EET 2012

Hi all,

since many dovecot/pigeonhole versions I have an error:
Mails are delivered into wrong folders if the foldername contain a german umlaut. ( ä, ö, ü )

setup: dovecot-2.1.1 / pigeonhole-0.3.0
postfix deliver to dovecot-lda

.dovecot.sieve contains this:

require ["fileinto","reject","vacation","relational","comparator-i;ascii-numeric","regex"];
if
header :contains "To" "green at example.org"
{
fileinto "INBOX.gr&APw-n";
stop;
}

a mail to the mentioned address produces this logging:
Mar  9 22:23:10 test dovecot: lda(foo): save: box=INBOX.gr&APw-n, uid=2, msgid=<4711 at example.org>, size=4642

also a mail_debug=yes log no more lines related to the foldername

but at the end I found the mail not in the expected folder.
It places in "INBOX.gr&-APw-n" notice the extra minus after &

I think it's pigeonholes fault but I may be wrong ...

# doveconf -n
# 2.1.1: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.26-2-686 i686 Debian 5.0.9 ext3
lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes
lda_mailbox_autosubscribe = yes
listen = 127.0.0.1, ::1
protocols = " imap sieve"
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = quota notify mail_log sieve
}

Andreas