[Dovecot] duplicates with multiple To/CC and sieve redirect copy

Leo Baltus Leo.Baltus at omroep.nl
Thu Mar 8 13:56:41 EET 2012

Op 23/02/2012 om 02:15:48 +0100, schreef Stephan Bosch:
> On 2/22/2012 12:15 AM, Adam Szpakowski wrote:
> >On 22.02.2012 00:09, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >>Well, it would be possible to build a doveadm script that
> >>deletes the duplicates after delivery, but currently there's no
> >>implementation to avoid delivering duplicate Message-IDs in the
> >>first place.
> >>
> >>I don't really like such a Message-ID-based deduplication
> >>feature enabled by default, but something like this could be
> >>nice:
> >>
> >>fileinto :copy :x-deduplicate "boss";
> >>
> >>Anyway, probably not going to be implemented anytime soon.
> >Maybe there is a way to use a procmail with something like this:
> >
> >:0 Wh: msgid.lock
> >| formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache
> >
> >But is there a safe way to use it together with sieve? Using
> >Pigeonhole Sieve Pipe Plugin?
> >

> There are a few options:
>
> * You can use Procmail as primary delivery agent and invoke
> dovecot-lda/sieve from within Procmail once Procmail has determined
> that it is not a duplicate.
>
> * Invoke procmail from Sieve using the pipe extension (i.e. the
> other way around). This  has the disadvantage that Procmail will
> have to take care of final delivery, meaning the Dovecot indexes are
> not updated.
>
> * For Pigeonhole v0.3 there is the possibility to "filter" the
> message through Procmail using the sieve_extprograms plugin, but I
> haven't actually tested something like that.
>
> * I've just created an alternative that implements something similar
> to the Procmail code you posted above, but from within Sieve itself.
> It is a custom language extension called vnd.dovecot.duplicate and
> it adds the "duplicate" test. This test keeps track of which
> Message-IDs it has seen before in earlier deliveries and yields a
> true result if the message was seen before, e.g.:
>
> require "vnd.dovecot.duplicate";
>
> if duplicate {
>     discard;
> }
>
> Read the specification for details ("name" argument is not yet implemented):
>
> http://hg.rename-it.nl/pigeonhole-0.3-sieve-duplicate/raw-file/4b1dbda4d3fc/doc/rfc/spec-bosch-sieve-duplicate.txt
>
> The repository is at: http://hg.rename-it.nl/pigeonhole-0.3-sieve-duplicate
>
> This plugin is only a few hours old, experimental, and largely
> untested, so test it thoroughly before considering to use this. Read
> the INSTALL file for compile and installation instructions.
>
> Comments are welcome.

I did some very basic testing and it seems to work fine.

The example in spec-bosch-sieve-duplicate.txt  however says:

   if duplicate {
           fileinto :create "Trash/Duplicate";
   }

This assumes the hierarchy separator is '/', but in Maildir this defaults to '.'

So this leads to:
  failed to store into mailbox 'Trash/Duplicate': Invalid mailbox name

I am not sure if this a bug or not, I suppose you know the rfc's better
than I do, is the sieve language supposed to be agnostic of the
internals of the storage-engine (dovecot)?

--
Leo Baltus, internetbeheerder                         /\
NPO ICT Internet Services                            /NPO/\