[Dovecot] Shared mboxes

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon Mar 5 21:30:30 EET 2012

I've been looking at some documentation on shared mail accounts. But I'm
getting mixed thoughts on how this can or should be done.

I use mbox for all my pop and imap folders since I've converted from a
uw-imap server. The first thing that makes me wonder about setup is that
I've been told to not use maildir and mbox on the same machine, although
I'm not really sure why since it seems this would work OK, but anyway,
I'm guessing I should stick with mbox for the shared accounts.

Secondly, I'm sure I'd need a namespace to use which ever format, so
there's private, public, and shared types. Most of the stuff I'm reading
seems to suggest "public" as a type instead of "shared". So what's
shared for anyway?

I want to use this shared account so that email can be sent to this
account, and be shared by only a few people, but I'm reading where locks
and such don't work with mbox, so in my mind, how do you avoid
corruption and why not just make a normal account and let people hack
away at the data?

I've not even got to the questions in my mind about how to set up the
account, but figured if I could get the above straight, I might be able
to fuddle my way through it.

Help would be truly appreciated.

steve campbell