[Dovecot] Failing: doveadm sync <--remote host--> dsync mirror

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Sat Mar 3 20:03:42 EET 2012

Hi --

On 27.02.2012, at 13:45, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 20:55 +0100, Michael Grimm wrote:

>> My working 2.0.18 syntax threw the following error:
>>
>> 	vmail> dsync -v -f -u test ssh vmail at remote-host.tld dsync -v -f -u test
>> 	doveadm(vmail): Fatal: Unknown print formatter: -u
>> 	dsync-local(test): Error: read() from worker server failed: EOF
>
> You left out "mirror" from that command, but after adding it the latest
> hg version works.

I did use 'mirror', I just forgot to paste it.

JFTR:
	vmail> dovecot --version
	20120303 (1002733ca266+)

	vmail> dsync -v -f -u test mirror ssh vmail at remote-host.tld dsync -v -f -u test
	dsync-local(test): Error: remote: dsync: illegal option -- f
	doveadm dsync-server [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>]
	dsync-local(test): Error: read() from worker server failed: EOF

If I do omit the remote '-f' the old syntax is being accepted. Thanks for fixing that.

>> Now I switched to the recommended new syntax as stated in http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.1:
>>
>> 	vmail> doveadm sync -v -f -u test ssh vmail at remote-host.tld doveadm sync -v -f -u test
>> 	doveadm: illegal option -- v
>> 	doveadm sync [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] [-fR] [-m <mailbox>] <dest>
>
> The -v parameter is in wrong place now, needs to be "doveadm -v sync".

Ah, yes. That was my mistake, sorry.

	vmail> doveadm sync -f -u test ssh vmail at remote-host.tld
	dsync-local(test): Error: remote: dsync-server: Command not found.
	dsync-local(test): Error: read() from worker server failed: EOF

Users are virtual ones at both mail servers, and vmail is the only system user to run ssh. Thus I
can't test user suggestion. But it's ok to add a 'doveadm dsync-server -u test'.

Now, I will stick to 2.1.x because syncing is done without loss of mails (after 10 days of testing).
The only inconvenience remaining is reappearing of deleted and "undeletable" mail. But it seems that
I'm the only one reporting that. How could I help to debug this issue?

Regards,
Michael