[Dovecot] Multiple namespaces seems to be used at the same time

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Mar 1 16:16:39 EET 2012

I've just converted from an old Centos 3 box to a Centos 6.2 box. I've
switched from UW-imap to dovecot in the process. In my configurations,
I've placed the multiple namespace sections as suggested by the
"Backward compatability" part of the wiki. I use mbox since I mostly
copied the home directories from the old to the new server.

On some of the clients, it appears that the client is using multiple
namespaces at the same time. When they view their subscribed folders,
they see multiple "mail" folders instead of just the single "mail"
folder under their home directory.

The .subscription files are more than likely not correct (haven't looked
yet, but will fix them as a user calls), but should this ever happen?
I'm also sure the client's prefix isn't set since the old system never
required it and there are just so many other things that are required
right now on this conversion.

Speaking of prefixes, I'd like to get the default of "" (nothing
entered) to work for the majority of the users to avoid having to add
this to the multiple users we have. Hopefully, by going through each
user's home directory and copying the old .mailboxlist to a new
.subscriptions file and ensuring the imap folders are in ~/mail will do
this. Does this sound resonable?

Thanks for any help. The learning curve is getting less steep, but it's
still a ways off to the top of the hill.

steve campbell