[Dovecot] Concurrent dovecot instances on same spool?

Jacek Osiecki joshua at hybrid.pl
Thu Mar 1 10:21:50 EET 2012

Hi all,

While reading the "Multiple locations, 2 servers - planning questions..."
thread, it just hit me that I was planning to do something that seems to
be a bit hazardous...

I am setting up an high-availability server set, which consists of two (or
more) servers with common disk space, all set behind redundant hardware
load balancers. At first, there will be two servers and disk space will be
kept on NFS server or on both servers using DRBD+OCFS2 filesystem (what
creates kind of networked RAID1 storage space). This will be done mostly
to keep WWW service available in case when one of servers fails.

However, if we have everything redundant, why not have the same with SMTP
and POP3/IMAP? But - won't anything fail if two (or more) dovecots are
accessing the same disk space, both for IMAP/POP3 and LDA/LMTP?

If it is possible, that would be a good solution for the mentioned thread.
If not - where are possible dangers, and are there any plans to make it
possible in the future?

Greetings,
--
Jacek Osiecki joshua at ceti.pl GG:3828944
I don't want something I need. I want something I want.