[Dovecot] need simpler directions on user authentication

David Benfell dbenfell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 02:54:40 EET 2012

Hi all,

My situation is this: I have postfix running on a Linode under Arch
Linux. A recent upgrade to dovecot broke the configuration. Now I get
"Couldn't drop privileges: User is missing UID (see mail_uid setting)."

I do not want virtual users. I do not particularly want SQL or LDAP. I
do have multiple domains. I do use Maildir. I already have SSL
certificates for the server which I did manage to get dovecot to quit
complaining about.

The documentation is driving me nuts. It keeps telling me about stuff I
think I don't need. And I can't tell what I actually *do* need. All I
want is for system users, including myself, to be able to get their mail.

How do I do this?

Thank you!
David Benfell
dbenfell at gmail.com