[Dovecot] Is it possible to migrating mail to dovecot using imapc?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 30 22:52:18 EEST 2012

On 30.3.2012, at 22.44, Dr Josef Karthauser wrote:

> I'm excited to hear that dovecot now supports imap as a mailbox type.
>
> I've got a mailbox over on another imap server, which I want to migrate to dovecot. I was wondering whether I could use 'doveadm backup' to setup a two way synchronisation process between the old imap mailbox and the new dovecot mailbox. That way I can do the migration, and can coordinate the mail clients changing where they pick up their email from later.
>
> But, I can't find much documentation on imapc, other than it exists.
>
> Is this kind of move possible now? Would someone mind giving me some hints as to how to make it work please?

One-way sync will work fine. Two-way sync might be a bit troublesome. For redesigned dsync I've started thinking about kind of a 1,5-way sync. :) That would make sure that all messages from A are copied to B and no messages are deleted from B, but doesn't try to copy new messages from B to A.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Dsync anyway has some docs.