[Dovecot] Need fast Maildir to mdbox conversion

Jeff Gustafson ncjeffgus at zimage.com
Wed Mar 28 23:58:38 EEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 09:24 +0200, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:

> Why is it a problem that dsync takes a long time, when it can be done
> without downtime for the users?
>
> I just started our maildir->mdbox convertion yesterday, using the
> attached script. I only converted a little over 10000 easy accounts
> (accounts with simple folder names, as I expect to run into problems
> once we start hitting accounts with trailing dot or broken latin1/utf8
> characters in  the folder names). I might agree it wasn't quick, but
> that really doesn't matter as the only downtime for the user is that
> he's potentially kicked out during the userdb update.

	I looked over your script. I plan on doing some trial runs with it. I
think the trick where you re-run the sync and then boot the user off the
connection should work pretty well. I hadn't totally fleshed out the
scripting on the conversion since there is a lot more I need to do with
the database and configuration files first. It appears I can use your
script as a starting point for our configuration.

			...Jeff