[Dovecot] migrating mailboxes on dovecot

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 16:04:33 EEST 2012

>On 25-03-2012 10:23, Gedalya wrote:
>> On 3/25/2012 3:24 AM, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
>>> The directory structure is :
>>>

>>> "/var/MailRoot/domains/domainX/Username/Maildir/"
>>
>> You can probably just:
>> 1. Do something to prevent the user from logging in, and any deliveries
>> from happening, e.g. delete the user.
>> 2. Kick any existing connections.
>> 3. Just move the Username directory from domainA to domainB.
>> 4. Create the new user in the new domain
>>
>> Test the procedure first.
>>
>> Don't let a client log in to a mailbox and see something he's not
>> supposed to see, like an empty mailbox. It can cause the client to drop
>> its local cache and possibly other data.
>>

>i would also setup a forward from domainA to domainB for all the users
>that have moved, at least until most people who do send email know the
>'old'address has changed.

Hi chaps and thank you for your replies,

Sorry forgot to mention. Most of the users use thunderbird.
And yes, thank you for the forwarding issue of old e-mail accounts
to the new ones. However, that is not my problem.

Let me suggest something . . . :

What if :

1. I setup the new accounts
2. Users log on normally from thunderbird
3. While they are using thunderbird, I get rid of their old
e-mail address, create the new one (in thunderbird)
4. I make sure that the newly created address syncs with
dovecot

Wouldn't that be enough to migrate "on-the-fly" so to speak
their existing directory tree structure and related messages to
their new e-mail account ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

spyros

----
"I merely function as a channel that filters
music through the chaos of noise"
- Vangelis