[Dovecot] sysconfdir depreacted

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sun Mar 25 05:48:36 EEST 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 03:50 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 24.3.2012, at 3.19, Noel Butler wrote:
>
> >> Yes, I was also thinking about that, but it's about removing the dovecot/ suffix from other directories as well. That might be something worth doing (--without-package-suffix or something?).
> > it is very easy to have a search path for config file,  it shouldn't
> > take much effort at all to change that to look for the long time default
> > of /etc/dovecot.conf  first, then if not there, look in /etc/dovecot/
>
> Technically it's easy, but the result will be that more people will be confused. I'll get an increase of emails about "I changed dovecot.conf, but nothing happens?!?" My goal is to reduce the number of emails I get, not increase them.
>
> > No-one is suggesting putting all the individual conf files in /etc, only
> > for existence of dovecot.conf itself.
>
> So you don't want to remove dovecot/ suffix from all the other dirs (lib, libexec, etc.) only from etc? The only way I can think of how to do that is to add a special option just for it, and more options is generally bad:

Not at all, I'm suggesting that in search for dovecot.conf file only,
the search path be preferenced by @sysconfdir@/dovecot.conf  such as
--sysconfdir=/etc  it looks for /etc/dovecot.conf, if not found, the
config file location search continues on to look
for /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

I might be wrong, there might only be a handful of people annoyed by
this change, but as more and more using custom builds test out moving
from 1.2 to 2.x, well, more and more might be caught out, wouldn't it be
better to, as you said previously, " avoid emails". As I'm sure you got
better things to do than read any tripe I post :)

Anyway I have made my suggestion, nothing more I think I can say on the
matter that I haven't said already, so I'll leave it there, if it's
implemented, great, if not, well, it's not...

Cheers