[Dovecot] mdbox and pop3 locking

Ken Anderson ka at pacific.net
Wed Mar 21 17:19:16 EET 2012

On 3/21/2012 6:59 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 20.3.2012, at 17.26, Ken A wrote:
>
>> With mdbox, what does dovecot lock when "pop3_lock_session(pop3): yes"?
>>
>> Specifically, I'm wondering if Dovecot LDA is able to deliver mail when a session is locked, if using mdbox, or if it will tempfail until the session is unlocked?
>
> Unfortunately it will tempfail. This is something I'm planning on changing soon. There should be a separate POP3-only lock.

Awesome! I haven't migrated to mdbox yet, but in testing with it on a
dev server, it looks like it will solve a huge problem. Users seem to
want ever larger mailboxes, and mdbox gives them that, without asking
more than additional disk space. Fixing the pop locking would be an
additional benefit!

Thanks,
Ken
Pacific.Net