[Dovecot] Creating an IMAP repo for ~100 users need some advice

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 02:42:29 EET 2012

On 03/18/2012 12:32 AM, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Kaya Saman<kayasaman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Once we get setup this may come in quite handy! Not sure what's going
>> on currently as everyone above me is still quite set in using an SQL
>> DB as a mail storage system???
> RDBMS where not designed for such a task.  Using a relational database
> as a storage method for big chunks of data is very unwise, in my
> opinion. It degrades them to just being some sort of filing cabinet.
>
> Now, wouldn't it be nice, if we had something like that, a filing
> cabinet where we can store large chunks of data and randomly read and
> write them in a fast manner?
>
> Oh yes, I remember, it is called a "filesystem". Let's use some of those
> to store the mail data. It will be soooo awesome! ;-)

I think for the serious engineer there's Linux if even more serious
there's UNIX and for the rest there's MS..... Actually as a medical term
MS is something not that great to have; why does that also equate to
IT/Computing too ;-P

> Ok, back being serious: there is nothing wrong with using a RDBMS in the
> way it was intented, to store user credentials, quota values, account
> settings, forwarding addresses, address book data, bookmarks, etc.

I agree!

My humble opinion for a personal preference setup in this instance:

FreeBSD 8.2 x64 as base OS
UFS2 running on root drive
Create ZFS pools for storage
Have users mailboxes on the ZFS pools
Enable ZFS caching and snapshots
Dovecot to manage IMAPv4

---

Get rid of MS altogether! <wouldn't that be nice>

....Then start working a really cool implementation of UNIX/Linux only
infrastructure :-)

> Grüße,
> Sven.

Regards,