[Dovecot] Creating an IMAP repo for ~100 users need some advice

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 23:51:28 EET 2012

>Hi,
>
>I am currently in the process of setting up an IMAP repository for round 100 users....
>
>Currently the user authentication method is being handled via a Windows Domain Controller.
>
>The host OS for Dovecot will either be FreeBSD or CentOS.
>

>Would Dovecot be able to authenticate to either the DC directly or would we need to go through LDAP??
>

>Additionally
 what would be the best method to store the **mail** information? - as
in MySQL database or Maildir format; coinciding with this what is the
best backup method in order to be able to do 'dump' backups or restore
single emails??

>Can anyone give me a hand with this?
>

>Regards,
>

>Kaya

Hi Kaya,

I can't force you to follow a specific path.
All I can do, is tell you my experience on this.

Using Dovecot for IMAP, XMail for POP3/SMTP, Horde for
Webmail, OpenLDAP for LDAP (no windows software
there) and CentOS v5.5 32-bit onwards.
User base is about 30 users.
System uptime without a glitch reached at some point
(had to reboot the server for maintenance reasons) about
200 days. I am sure it would go beyond 365 days.

Hope this helps,

spyros

----
"I merely function as a channel that filters
music through the chaos of noise"
- Vangelis