[Dovecot] POP3 Performance

Kelsey Cummings kgc at corp.sonic.net
Fri Mar 16 21:04:19 EET 2012

On 03/16/12 10:54, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Another thing our existing POP3 servers did was batch all of the deletes until after the +OK... was returned from quit.  This doesn't reduce server load but has the impression of creating faster response times to the clients.
>
> You mean deleting the messages after +OK, instead of before? Does it really make a difference?

In the context of a clients "send and receive" phase taking a (small)
fraction of a second less time, perhaps, but it is a small difference in
any case.  It was one of many small changes we made to try to improve
interactive performance.

>.. Dovecot can reply with -ERR to QUIT if deletions failed for some reason.

True, we decided that loosing that ability didn't really matter.  (Like
not counting newlines as two bytes in the message size.)

-K