[Dovecot] Problem copying e-mails to IMAP - Dovecot 2.1.2

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:00:41 EET 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:24, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 13:51 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > I have a situation where I need to migrate e-mails from Outlook 2011
> (Mac)
> > to Apple Mail. Having looked at all options, I have resorted to the,
> > perhaps, most difficult way: Create folders on the IMAP server, copy
> > e-mails into them from Outlook, connect Apple Mail and do the reverse.
> > However, I have hit a wall.
> >
> > I am running Dovecot 2.1.2 on FreeBSD, with mdbox storage.
> >
> > In my first attempt, I have 1792 messages in the "Sent Items" folder for
> > Outlook. I have tried (3 times) to copy the messages to the IMAP/Sent
> Items
> > folder, but the process dies at some point. When that happens, Outlook
> pops
> > a screen saying "IMAP session state is inconsistent, please relogin".
> ..
> > Mar 16 13:33:23 jaribu dovecot: imap(wash at kictanet.or.ke): Error:
> Corrupted
> > dbox file /var/spool/virtual/kictanet.or.ke/wash/mdbox/storage/m.4(around
> > offset=894): msg header has bad magic value
>
> Well, this isn't good. The mdbox was empty when you first started
> copying the mails? This is a normal local FreeBSD filesystem (not NFS or
> something else weird)?
>
> What happens if you now run:
>
> doveadm force-resync -u wash at kictanet.or.ke INBOX
>
> Does it show any errors? If not, and if you try to copy the mails again,
> does it still fail?
>
> It's interesting if you can reproduce this. I wonder if it's because of
> FreeBSD or if it's related to single instance storage.

Ok. I have been able to reproduce it anyway.

Environment: Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Outlook 2010. I had 415 e-mails in
the Inbox.
While copying, Outlook popped up an error:

IMAP session state is inconsistent, please relogin.
    Protocol:    IMAP
    Server:    192.168.40.252
    Port:    143
    Error Code:    0x800CCCDD

...and dovecot.log details at that time can be found here -
http://196.200.26.114/~wash/dovecot.log.txt

And the output of the force-resync command is:

[root at jaribu] /usr/home/wash# cp /var/log/dovecot.log
~wash/public_html/dovecot.log.txt
[root at jaribu] /usr/home/wash# /opt/dovecot2.1/bin/doveadm force-resync -u
wash at kictanet.or.ke INBOX
doveadm(wash at kictanet.or.ke): Warning: mdbox /var/spool/virtual/
kictanet.or.ke/wash/mdbox/storage: rebuilding indexes
doveadm(wash at kictanet.or.ke): Error: Corrupted dbox file /var/spool/virtual/
kictanet.or.ke/wash/mdbox/storage/m.5 (around offset=30): Invalid dbox
version
doveadm(wash at kictanet.or.ke): Error: mdbox rebuild: Failed to fix file
/var/spool/virtual/kictanet.or.ke/wash/mdbox/storage/m.5
doveadm(wash at kictanet.or.ke): Error: Corrupted dbox file /var/spool/virtual/
kictanet.or.ke/wash/mdbox/storage/m.10 (around offset=30): Invalid dbox
version
doveadm(wash at kictanet.or.ke): Error: mdbox rebuild: Failed to fix file
/var/spool/virtual/kictanet.or.ke/wash/mdbox/storage/m.10

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,