[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.1 with custom OpenSSL fails to build

Andreas M. Kirchwitz amk at spamfence.net
Thu Mar 15 23:43:02 EET 2012

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

 >> $ patch -p1 -s < ../dovecot-20120303-e540404debb7.patch
 >> $ env SSL_CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include" SSL_LIBS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/ssl/lib -lcrypto -lssl" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Dovecot-20120303 --with-ssl=openssl --with-ssldir=/usr/local/Dovecot-20120303/etc/dovecot/certs && make && make install
 >
 > You would have needed to run autogen.sh again. It works with me now that
 > I tried in a test server with OpenSSL in non-standard dir.

Sorry, I didn't know that with "autogen.sh". Just grabbed Dovecot 2.1.2
(which is all properly set up - so I couldn't do anything wrong ;-) and
compiled it.

Compilation works. Great! The binaries find all their libraries.

But two libraries are not quite okay. They don't find their SSL libs:

	libdovecot-lda.so
	libdovecot-storage.so

Since libdovecot-lda.so doesn't contain the words libssl or libcrypto,
I guess that ldd just complains because it uses libdovecot-storage.so.
Thus, libdovecot-storage.so is the (only) one left with an incomplete
library search path.

Luckily, all binaries use some additional libraries which come with
a proper library path. So the whole things works, but it's more like
some kind of magic. It would be great if libdovecot-storage.so could
be fixed as well to make things finally perfect.

Thanks for all your effort. (I know this isn't top priority as most
people use precompiled stuff and never run into such kind of things.)

	Greetings, Andreas