[Dovecot] v2.1.2 released

list at airstreamcomm.net list at airstreamcomm.net
Thu Mar 15 21:48:57 EET 2012

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:53:53 +0200, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> http://dovecot.org/releases/2.1/dovecot-2.1.2.tar.gz
> http://dovecot.org/releases/2.1/dovecot-2.1.2.tar.gz.sig
>
> There are a ton of proxying related improvements in this release. You
> should now be able to do pretty much anything you want with Dovecot
> proxy/director.
>
> This release also includes the initial version of dsync-based
> replication. I'm already successfully using it for @dovecot.fi mails,
> but it still has some problems. See
> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-March/064243.html for some details
> how to configure it.
>
> 	+ Initial implementation of dsync-based replication. For now this
> 	  should be used only on non-critical systems.
> 	+ Proxying: POP3 now supports sending remote IP+port from proxy to
> 	  backend server via Dovecot-specific XCLIENT extension.
> 	+ Proxying: proxy_maybe=yes with host=<hostname> (instead of IP)
> 	  works now properly.
> 	+ Proxying: Added auth_proxy_self setting
> 	+ Proxying: Added proxy_always extra field (see wiki docs)
> 	+ Added director_username_hash setting to specify what part of the
> 	  username is hashed. This can be used to implement per-domain
> 	  backends (which allows safely accessing shared mailboxes within
> 	  domain).
> 	+ Added a "session ID" string for imap/pop3 connections, available
> 	  in %{session} variable. The session ID passes through Dovecot
> 	  IMAP/POP3 proxying to backend server. The same session ID is can be
> 	  reused after a long time (currently a bit under 9 years).
> 	+ passdb checkpassword: Support "credentials lookups" (for
> 	  non-plaintext auth and for lmtp_proxy lookups)
> 	+ fts: Added fts_index_timeout setting to abort search if indexing
> 	  hasn't finished by then (default is to wait forever).
> 	- doveadm sync: If mailbox was expunged empty, messages may have
> 	  become back instead of also being expunged in the other side.
> 	- director: If user logged into two directors while near user
> 	  expiration, the directors might have redirected the user to two
> 	  different backends.
> 	- imap_id_* settings were ignored before login.
> 	- Several fixes to mailbox_list_index=yes
> 	- Previous v2.1.x didn't log all messages at shutdown.
> 	- mbox: Fixed accessing Dovecot v1.x mbox index files without errors.

Are there any performance metrics around dsync replication, such as how
many users this has been tested on, or how long the replication take to
occur?  Also I have not been able to determine from reading the mailinglist
whether or not dsync replication works with different types of mailboxes
(maildir, dbox, mbox), what is supported?