[Dovecot] .mailboxlist -> .subscriptions

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Mar 14 21:53:00 EET 2012

On 3/14/2012 1:00 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2012-03-14 10:46 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
>> Over the years, some imap accounts had their folders directly in their
>> home directory and the contents of the .mailboxlist file would have an
>> entry with just the name of the folder in it (Trash, eg), and most had
>> the folders in their ~/mail folder with an entry like "mail/Trash". Our
>> webmail app, Horde/Imp, always seemed to take care of this. If I create
>> the .subscription file for the users during the move to the new server,
>> should I move the folders to the mail directory and amend their
>> .subscriptions file to reflect that change on these odd ball accounts,
>> and will that affect how their client is seeing these?
>
> Yes... dovecot doesn't like it when stuff other than mail is in the
> home folder:
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home

I'm not sure these are virtual users, so that link may have confused me.
All accounts on these servers have real unix accounts. Their inbox is
/var/spool/mail/unix-user-name.

Their imap folders, the ones that they create using an imap client or
webmail, are either in ~ or ~/mail. Their original .mailboxlist is
always in ~. Based on that, I should probably copy any imap folders not
in ~/mail to that folder, duplicate ~/.mailboxlist to the file
~/mail/.subscriptions, and amend any .subscriptions file contents to
just have the name of the folders (without any "mail/folder" reference
in it).

My example would then be as follows

/home/steve    =    folder
/home/steve/Drafts      =   original folder
/home/steve/AnyFolder  =  original folder
/home/steve/.mailboxlist    =    original file
/home/steve/mail    =   folder (either original or created)
/home/steve/mail/.subscriptions    =     copied contents of .mailboxlist
file
/home/steve/mail/Drafts     =    copied folder of original
/home/steve/mail/AnyFolder    =  copied folder of original

Contents of original .mailboxlist and new .subscriptions:

Drafts
AnyFolder

If the imap folders were in ~/mail, then the original .mailboxlist would
have been

mail/Drafts
mail/AnyFolder

but after the corrections to the .subscriptions file, they would be as
above (without reference to the mail folder).

Is this correct?

thanks for the help

steve