[Dovecot] Shared mboxes

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Mar 7 22:47:43 EET 2012

On 3/6/2012 3:01 PM, Steve Campbell wrote:

> I've experienced that type of locked mailbox before on the old server.
> Users insist on accessing their email account as a pop account on their
> desktop with the "check for new mail every so many minutes" turned on
> and still keep their smartphones on while accessing it as an imap
> account so they can still download the files to their desktop when they
> return.

Using IMAP on the phone and POP on the PC doesn't make any sense.  Is
there a (valid) reason why these people insist on this phone/IMAP and
PC/POP setup?  This seems seriously counter intuitive/productive.

> So just to clarify, is it OK to have a maildir account setup on this
> server for these shared/imap access only accounts along with the mbox
> accounts already on there?

Yes.  With Dovecot it is possible to specify mail_location on a per user
basis:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation

You can even do a split mailbox type setup per user using multiple
namespaces, for example specifying that INBOX use mbox with all other
mail being stored in maildir format:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces

> Thanks for the patience and help

Sure thing.