[Dovecot] dot named folders

Willie Gillespie wgillespie+dovecot at es2eng.com
Wed Mar 7 22:41:25 EET 2012

On 03/07/2012 12:43 PM, Micah Anderson wrote:

> When a user makes a folder called 'x.y' it actually creates a folder
> called 'x' with a folder called 'y' inside, rather than a folder called
> 'x.y'. I'm guessing this has to do with an internal folder separator
> namespace configuration, but I'm a bit confused by how this works.

Correct.
Similar to how in Linux, I could create a folder
mkdir test1/test2
It will create test2 inside of test1.

The difference being that IMAP doesn't necessarily need the parent
mailbox to exist, where Linux would throw an error if test1/ didn't
exist first.

So basically, as far as I know, you can't have a folder with a "." in
the name with the namespaces you have set up.