[Dovecot] dsync replication available for testing

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 5 12:45:26 EET 2012

On 5.3.2012, at 10.35, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:

>> 1) Replicator syncs all users at startup. If you can change your userdb iteration to return only one test user for replicator that avoids it. (You may be able to do protocol replicator { userdb {..} } and protocol !replicator { .. })
>
> IMHO it would be great if it didn't sync all users. We probably av have
> hundreds of thousands of inactive users that we would like to sync at a
> later point. Also when we provision users that's just an entry in a
> LDAP-directory without any files or directories. So dovecot shouldn't
> create any directories for these before they've received mail or logged in.
>
> So, ideally (for us), dovecot should keep a log over which accounts are
> active (has received or checked mail), and only sync users that has been
> active for the last $timeperiode on startup.

Well, all of this could be done already, although not very automatically.. Whenever a new mail is delivered or user is logged in, the user's last-login timestamp in SQL could be updated. And replicator's userdb iterate_query could return only users whose last-login timestamp is new enough. The SQL userdb could be used only by replicator, everything else could keep using LDAP.