[Dovecot] dsync replication available for testing

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Sun Mar 4 23:39:22 EET 2012

Hi --

On 04.03.2012, at 12:38, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 4.3.2012, at 13.34, Michael Grimm wrote:
>> On 04.03.2012, at 11:44, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> In dovecot-2.1 hg you can now test dsync-based replication.
>>
>> Great news. I would love to test it, if I will be able to run this on a test
>> account, only. All other users should become synced the "old way" for the time
>> being.
>>
>> Would that be possible with the current implementation?
>
> 1) Replicator syncs all users at startup. If you can change your userdb iteration
>    to return only one test user for replicator that avoids it. (You may be able to
>    do protocol replicator { userdb {..} } and protocol !replicator { .. })
>
> 2) You can enable replication plugin only for one user by changing mail_plugins
>    setting via userdb extra fields.
>
> Anyway, replicator simply runs doveadm, so there's not much that can go wrong. So
> you could even ignore 1) and just let it sync everyone at startup.

Does that mean that the new functionality (queue) does only run dsync replication
the usual way whenever new mail arrives? That's at least what I read in your code
committed today (but I'm not that good in reading code I do have to confess).

If you could approve my assumption, I'm willing to give it a try to all users.

Regards,
Michael