[Dovecot] LIST-STATUS issue

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Fri Mar 2 20:27:42 EET 2012

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 00:53 -0700, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>
>> It happened again.  Once it got around midnight local time I stopped
>> seeing correct STATUS updates with the UNSEEN count.  Running two
>> MUAs: I opened a mailbox with new messages in one, and the next time
>> the other MUA (webmail) polled it magically started seeing unseen
>> messages again.  And now if I change the seen flag in one MUA, it will
>> continue to be updated (as normal) in the other MUA.
>
> Next time try talking IMAP protocol directly? First giving the same LIST
> STATUS command, and if it doesn't show the updated counts, try STATUS
> directly and finally EXAMINE.

Weird.  In the MUA I was seeing this:

C: 4 LIST "" (INBOX IN.dovecot) RETURN (STATUS (UNSEEN))
S: * LIST () "." "IN.dovecot"
S: * STATUS "IN.dovecot" (UNSEEN 0)
S: * LIST () "." "INBOX"
S: * STATUS "INBOX" (UNSEEN 1)
S: 4 OK List completed.

Then I did this:

slusarz at bigworm % dovecot
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID
ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS
MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED
I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN
CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS SEARCH=FUZZY SPECIAL-USE ACL RIGHTS=texk]
Logged in as slusarz
1 LIST "" (INBOX IN.dovecot) RETURN (STATUS (UNSEEN))
* LIST () "." "IN.dovecot"
* STATUS "IN.dovecot" (UNSEEN 7)
* LIST () "." "INBOX"
* STATUS "INBOX" (UNSEEN 1)
1 OK List completed.

Sure enough, I went back to the MUA and now see this:

C: 4 LIST "" (INBOX IN.dovecot) RETURN (STATUS (UNSEEN))
S: * LIST () "." "IN.dovecot"
S: * STATUS "IN.dovecot" (UNSEEN 7)
S: * LIST () "." "INBOX"
S: * STATUS "INBOX" (UNSEEN 1)
S: 4 OK List completed.

The only difference... in the MUA I am enabling QRESYNC.  This is what
the previous commands look like (before reaching the LIST-STATUS
command):

>> Timestamp: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:17:56 -0700
S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
AUTH=LOGIN XIMAPPROXY] Dovecot ready.
C: [LOGIN Command - username: slusarz]
S: 1 OK User logged in
C: 2 ENABLE QRESYNC
S: * ENABLED QRESYNC
S: 2 OK Enabled.
C: 3 STATUS IN.horde.cvs (MESSAGES UIDNEXT UIDVALIDITY HIGHESTMODSEQ)
S: * STATUS "IN.horde.cvs" (MESSAGES 11 UIDNEXT 16767 UIDVALIDITY
1239077891 HIGHESTMODSEQ 31409)
S: 3 OK Status completed.

Next time I see this issue, I will try to go back and issue ENABLE
QRESYNC from the command line.

> I don't see anything in the code that could explain why this could be
> happening. What filesystem are you using?

Nothing fancy: jfs on Archlinux.  I've been using it for years - it's
not something I have recently changed.

michael