[Dovecot] .mailboxlist -> .subscriptions

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Mar 15 14:15:39 EET 2012

On 3/15/2012 6:29 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 10:46 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> I've mostly finished a conversion from an old Centos 3 UW-Imap server to
>> a new Centos 6 dovecot server.
> This is messy stuff to do. There are ways you could make Dovecot behave
> identically to UW-IMAP (mail_full_filesystem_access=yes), but for future
> and for security it's better if you don't do that.
>
>> I did not copy the old ~/.mailboxlist
>> file to ~/mail/.subscriptions file, but notice some users have the
>> latter file now. These are all mbox folders on the old and new server.
> Copying it for users who haven't already readded their subscriptions
> would be a good idea.
>
>> Over the years, some imap accounts had their folders directly in their
>> home directory and the contents of the .mailboxlist file would have an
>> entry with just the name of the folder in it (Trash, eg), and most had
>> the folders in their ~/mail folder with an entry like "mail/Trash". Our
>> webmail app, Horde/Imp, always seemed to take care of this. If I create
>> the .subscription file for the users during the move to the new server,
>> should I move the folders to the mail directory and amend their
>> .subscriptions file to reflect that change on these odd ball accounts,
>> and will that affect how their client is seeing these?
> Yes, move all of the mboxes to mail/ directory. With the compatibility
> namespaces it should work so that clients don't notice changes:
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces ->  Backwards Compatibility
>
> There are also a few old mailing list threads detailing all kinds of
> issues and solutions related to UW-IMAP ->  Dovecot migration..

I'd replied to an earlier thread, and in it, I'd asked a question about
a "blank" prefix namespace and the backward compatability namespaces.
I'm not sure whether my "mail_location" takes precedence over namespaces
(with or without a "location" parm), especially since I don't define a
"blank" prefix defined.

It's been working, or at least I'm not getting calls, so maybe I'm OK.
In any event, I believe if I move all of these folders to ~/mail, ensure
the .subscriptions file is matching, that at least people using
Thunderbird will re-read the file and set their folders properly. Not
sure about other clients.

Thanks for the help.

steve