[Dovecot] problems with SSH-based clustering dovecot 2.1.1

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Wed Mar 14 23:51:22 EET 2012

Hi --

On 14.03.2012, at 21:58, Michescu Andrei wrote:

>> Sometimes croncobs are running on both servers at the same time
>> producing locally delivered mails simultaneously, though. Ok, one
>> can modify run times accordingly ...
>
> Why do you run the crontab on all the servers? You can run a start-based
> system where only one ("main"-master) syncs all the other masters.

You misunderstood. I was referring to system cronjob's mail reports
from cron.daily jobs like security reports et al. Those reports
normally run at identical times.

>> And spammers don't care about mx priorities at all :-(
>
> Actually, statistically speaking, spammers select the low priority ones.

Actually: you are right ;-)

> Nice to hear that we are not the only ones out there to try to run
> something like this over dovecot :P

Yes. I never loved the idea of a clusterfs for my small mail servers,
I always considered such clusterfs an overkill. Well, my servers do
reside in the same housing building, thus it could be done without
performance loss. But a scenario of worldwide distributed mail servers
desires a dsync/replicator scheme, IMHO ;-)

Regards,
Michael