[Dovecot] Removing specific entry in user/auth cache

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 05:08:08 EEST 2012

Francisco Wagner C. Freire <wgrcunha at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> On 27.6.2012, at 14.10, Angel L. Mateo wrote:
>>
>>>       We have dovecot configured with auth cache. Is there any way to
>> remove a specific entry (not all) from this cache?
>>
>> Nope. What do you need it for?
>
> I dont known about Angel, but for me is useful because sometimes i need to
> deactivate smtp/imap/pop access from accounts, or change their home after
> storage migration, and removing a specific record i can use a long time
> cache.

I'm not sure that the auth cache holds that information, but I think you
can at least invalidate a particular auth cache entry by

 	1) Changing the user password (and save the previous hash)
 	2) Authenticate using the new credentials (and invalidate
 		the auth cache entry).  For example, you can just
 		do a manual connection on your dovecot server

 			x login someuser newpassword

 		This will replace the cache entry with a new one.

 	3) When you are ready to put the account back online, change the
 		password back to the original.  A password mismatch forces
 		a resync to your authentication system which will restore
 		the auth cache.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>