[Dovecot] Dovecot proxy/director and mail pop3/imap backend serviceon same server

Костырев Александр Алексеевич a.kostyrev at serverc.ru
Fri Jun 22 09:29:25 EEST 2012

I've already tortured Timo about that.
check this thread out: http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-June/066315.html

-----Original Message-----
From: dovecot-bounces at dovecot.org [mailto:dovecot-bounces at dovecot.org] On Behalf Of Aerion Stevens
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 4:50 PM
To: dovecot at dovecot.org
Subject: [Dovecot] Dovecot proxy/director and mail pop3/imap backend serviceon same server

Hi all,

I am interested in running a Dovecot Proxy(with Director) on the same
server as
the main Dovecot IMAP/POP3 service. I have a basic Proxy/Director
configuration working,
however I am struggling with getting the Proxy and IMAP/POP3 service to
coexist on
the same server. I plan to use three IMAP/POP3 servers with a NFS/maildir
backend,
and I am playing with Dovecot 2.1.5 at the moment.

I have two seperate configurations, one for the Proxy/Director and one for
the
Dovecot IMAP/POP3 "mail backend servers". For this to work my thoughts are
that
I will need to run the Proxy/Director imap/pop3 login process on the
standard ports
143, 110, 993, 995 and for the Dovecot IMAP/POP3 mail backend service
running on the same
server will need to use different ports (I decided to be 9143, 9110, 9993,
9995 for example).
How do I tell the director to proxy incoming imap/pop3 connection to the
mail backend servers
running on ports 9143, 9110, 9993, 9995 rather than the default imap/pop3
ports? Using the default
ports will clearly cause loops. Can anyone kindly provide an example
snippet of config that tells the director
to use different port for IMAP and POP3 proxy?

I have so far found the following pages helpful to what I am working on:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Director

Cheers,