[Dovecot] Deleting metadata smashes file dovecot.dict

Andre Gröbe andre.groebe at fun.de
Wed Aug 8 15:23:00 EEST 2012

Hi,

I am using dovecot (see dovecot -n output below) with metadata plugin in
my own plugin. I want to insert and delete some large metadata (>4KiB).
It seems, that the delete in a second call of my plugin smashes the file
dovecot.dict in users dir:

1st call:
*dovecot.dict is empty
-delete metadata 1
-delete metadata 2
-insert metadata 1 ~8KiB
-insert metadata 2 <1KiB
*dovecot.dict contains two entries

2nd call:
-delete metadata 1
-delete metadata 2
-insert metadata 1 ~8KiB
-insert metadata 2 <1KiB
*dovecot.dict contains the two entries + some waste

If all eight steps are called together (in the same plugin context) the
file dovecot.dict seems to be ok.

I have created a test plugin to reproduce this behaviour:
<http://temp-share.com/show/dPf3myu5W>. It needs the notify and
(patched) metadata plugin to run. To get it work i copy an email from
one IMAP folder to another (to trigger the copy notifier).

It seems, that there is an issue on writing metadata/dict, can anybody
reproduce it or knows what is wrong?

TIA
--
Andre