[Dovecot] Size of Mailbox affecting the sending of mail?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Aug 24 14:06:06 EEST 2012

Am 24.08.2012 12:53, schrieb Tim Smith:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't know where to post this one so I'll start off with you guys and
> then try Postfix if I'm barking up the wrong tree!
>
> Having set up my mail server (Dovecot/Postfix), users are experiencing
> long delays (a couple of minutes) when sending mail from mail client
> such as Thunderbird - this increases with attachments. Having had a
> brief discussion with someone, they mentioned that the reason that this
> may be to do with the size of the mailbox. I couldn't see the rationale
> behind this unless Dovecot is syncing the mailbox after every sent mail
> (due to possibly saving the sent item?) The mail is being delivered
> successfully but the amount of time it is taking to complete the action
> is far too long!
>
> Sorry this is a bit vague but any advice on trying to diagnose the
> problem would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Tim

sending mail ist usual smtp ( postfix ), not dovecot
if no firewalls/proxies , slow lines , dns problems are involved, there
may exist some policy or milter service which slows down smtp out from
i.e tb, ask same question with logs and config in the postfix mail list
size of mailbox should be not involved in this
--
Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer