[Dovecot] v2.2 status update: IMAP NOTIFY extension and more

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Aug 14 10:47:42 EEST 2012

On 13/08/2012 19:27, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> * Timo Sirainen <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
>> I'm also considering implementing an SMTP submission server, which works
>> only as a proxy to the real SMTP server. The benefits of it would mainly
>> be:
>>
>>   * It could support BURL command and other extensions required by
>> LEMONADE. The real SMTP server would see only regular DATA commands.
>>   * Would make SMTP AUTH easy to implement regardless of what the real
>> SMTP server is.
> Nice move! Especially since I recall Wietse being not very inclined to
> implement anything alike.

Annoyingly Apple implemented burl for postfix, submitted the patch, but
Wietse declined it (for reasons I would need to remind myself of - I
think some implementation concerns, but mainly "who is using it, lets
see the clients first")

I would also be very interested to see BURL support appear.  It appears
to offer bandwidth reductions (my customers are all on slow dialup
links), and at least some apple clients (IOS?) support it

Cheers

Ed W