[Dovecot] IMAP IDLE - iPhone?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Aug 10 12:57:43 EEST 2012

Am 10.08.2012 11:21, schrieb Sergey S. Kovalev:
>> and that is why K9 on android let you select which folders
>> are relevant for you on the mobile and which should be
>> completly ignored and display the selected in "common inbox"

> This is not an argument. You can have hundred of folders sorted by
> sieve and really need to know if there new mail
> in any of it

surely IT IS an argument

on a non-iPhone you can chosse what is important
your agrumentation is even one argument more against iPhone

>>> I think that battery life is the reason, why this feature is not implemented
>>> in iPhone. It will use only one IMAP connection
>> so it is not "it's IMAP limitation"
> As I told - IMAP limitation is to control only one folder

as proven by other devices there is no limitation

>> how does help me "save battery" if i have a folder-structure
>> maintained by sieve if i do not get my new mails?

> If you open 10 connections to IMAP server and will IDLE on them - your phone
> will wake up to reply for ping in every of that 10 connections.
> Imagine if there will 100 folders?
> Therefore IMAP really have limitation to use it on mobile devices

again: how does it help me if I NEED to check them?

and no, IMAP has no limitations proven by Android-client
my Samsung Galaxy S3 has around 25 push folders

no problem with K9 mail to have them in my "common inbox"
including my own sent messages while on the desktop i
use the folder structure and my battery has a average
lifetime of 1.5 days