[Dovecot] Running spamc during LMTP delivery

Daniel Piddock dgp-dove at corefiling.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 13:01:30 EEST 2012

On 08/08/12 10:08, martin f krafft wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> we are using dovecot-lmtp for delivery to virtual users, and vmm[1]
> to manage them.
>
> 1. http://vmm.localdomain.org/
>
> One nice feature of vmm is that every virtual user has their own
> UID/GID on the UNIX filesystem. There is no passwd entry, so no
> shell login, but each user effectively has a home directory and can
> run commands in isolation and with lowered privileges.
>
> This requires dovecot-lmtp because only the LMTP LDA runs with root
> rights and can drop privileges to become the specific user for which
> it is delivering mail.
>
> We would now like to run SpamAssassin with the possibility of using
> the antispam plugin to enable virtual users to train their
> databases.
>
> Do you have an idea how I could let dovecot-lmtp invoke spamc? Or an
> external command as a filter, to be run by the final user?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Martin,

Have you taken a look at Pigeonhole and Sieve? There's experimental
support for running spam filters and external commands. You'll need at
least 0.3.0 which requires Dovecot 2.1.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve

HTH,
Dan
--
Daniel Piddock, Systems Administrator, CoreFiling Limited
http://www.corefiling.com