[Dovecot] redirect actions exceeds policy limit

David Webmailbeta Warden warden at geneseo.edu
Mon Aug 6 21:46:22 EEST 2012

In conf.d/90-sieve.conf we have:

# The maximum number of redirect
actions that can be performed during
# a single script execution.

#sieve_max_redirects = 4
sieve_max_redirects = 25

I think that's the
setting you're looking for.

-David Warden

On 2012-08-06 14:34, Mike
Greene wrote:

> Hello, We have a vacation/mail forwarder plugin in
squirrel mail that allows customers to forward email. It has come to my
attention that there is a limit (appears to be 5) on the number of
addresses that can be specified. I'm now trying to track down where this
policy limit is set.

> This is the error we see in the customers
.dovecot.sieve.log file:

> main_script: line 26: error: number of
redirect actions exceeds policy limit.
> sieve: info: started log at Jul
25 07:02:54.

> I checked the following for possible settings:

/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

/usr/local/etc/sieve/dovecot.sieve
> /usr/local/etc/sieve/global.sieve
>

> I didn't see anything specific to limiting the number of redirects.
I'm wondering where else I can look to find where this limit is coming
from and adjust it upwards.

> We are using the following dovecot /
pigeonhole versions.

> dovecot-2.0.7
> dovecot-pigeonhole-0.2.1

athena# dovecot -n
> # 2.0.7: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> #
OS: FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE amd64
> auth_default_realm = rockisland.com

auth_mechanisms = plain login cram-md5
> auth_username_format = %Lu

disable_plaintext_auth = no
> dotlock_use_excl = yes
> first_valid_gid =
1000
> first_valid_uid = 1000
> listen = *
> mail_location =
mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
> mail_privileged_group = mail

managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
> managesieve_sieve_capability =
fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress
comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include
variables body enotify environment mailbox date
> passdb {
> args =
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
{
> quota = maildir
> quota_rule = *:storage=2G
> quota_warning =
storage=90%% /usr/local/sbin/quota-warning.sh 90
> quota_warning2 =
storage=80%% /usr/local/sbin/quota-warning.sh 80
> sieve =
~/.dovecot.sieve
> sieve_dir = ~/
> sieve_global_dir =
/usr/local/etc/sieve/
> }
> protocols = imap pop3
> service auth {

unix_listener auth-client {
> mode = 0660
> }
> unix_listener
auth-master {
> group = vmail
> mode = 0600
> user = vmail
> }

unix_listener auth-userdb {
> group = vmail
> mode = 0600
> user =
vmail

}
> service pop3-login {
> service_count = 0
> }
> ssl_cert =
</usr/local/etc/ssl/star.rockisland.com.crt.pem
> ssl_key =
</usr/local/etc/ssl/star.rockisland.com.key.pem
> userdb {
> driver =
prefetch
> }
> userdb {
> args =
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
> driver = ldap
> }

verbose_proctitle = yes
> protocol imap {