[Dovecot] Just trying to make dovecot work.

Peter Snow peter at snowweb.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 04:35:49 EEST 2012

Well you can continue to kid yourselves that the documentation is good
if you like. The facts say differently. For example, I visit
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MainConfig for help with the main config and at
the top of the page it tells me that this page is for version 1.x, so I
click the link to view the page for 2.x, which takes me to a page saying
that the page I want has yet to be created. I therefore have no option
but to refer to the version 1.x documentation. I copy "mechanisms =
plain" from it but when I restart dovecot, it fails, telling me that it
is not recognized!

> Finally note that there are literally dozens of "how to install
> dovecot" guides on the internet

I noticed that also and did indeed follow many of them. Many of them
though are for version 1.x but don't say so. Other's just leave you
hanging. I could and probably will carry on digging on Google and
probably will find a bunch of erroneous documents among the good ones
and will have no easy way to tell the difference, but one might expect
the official website to have the right information to save me this hassle.

By the way, I've now got it running. It wasn't failing due to the user
being used to run the processes. It was due to misconfiguration of the
way that the virtual users were setup, which in the end I managed to fix
by interrogating a server with a working implementation (albeit ver 1.x)
which was similar to what I needed and copying parts of it's config.

Although mutt now connects to it fine, roundcube doesn't, but don't
worry. I'm not planning to bother you further.

Kind regards,

Peter