[Dovecot] Overriding inbox= in userdb extra fields

Bret Martin bam at miranda.org
Fri Aug 3 17:13:15 EEST 2012

On Aug 3, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
[...]
> Problem 1: The userdb fields need to be prefixed in passwd-file with "userdb_" prefix, so "userdb_namespace/inbox/inbox=no".

Aha! This is what I was missing. The documentation on userdb extra fields even says this, but I missed it even on multiple readings.

> Problem 2: You change the username from bam-ios to bam, which results in:
>
>> Aug  2 11:37:29 new-miranda dovecot: auth: passwd-file(bam,64.119.157.114,<Rgx2MErG4wBAd51y>): unknown user
>> Aug  2 11:37:29 new-miranda dovecot: auth: Debug: passwd(bam,64.119.157.114,<Rgx2MErG4wBAd51y>): lookup
>
> So the userdb fields aren't looked up from passwd-file anyway.

I discovered this as well after sending my mail. My goal in changing the username was to point at bam's mail storage without having a symlink or something like that. But I solved this instead by adding more userdb extra fields to override namespace/{inbox,mdbox,virtual}/location.

Thanks so much! I've now got exactly what I want: a full view of my many folders from desktop IMAP clients, and a collapsed hierarchy using virtual folders for mobile IMAP clients where navigating a huge folder tree can be cumbersome.

--Bret