[Dovecot] Webmail architecture : questions about cache and storage backend

forumer at smartmobili.com forumer at smartmobili.com
Wed Sep 21 15:04:37 EEST 2011

Hi,

I have some questions about dovecot-2.1 and need some advice about
software architecture.
My company plans to develop a kind of Document Managing System (DMS)
and one of its module is a webmail
that is currently in a pre-alpha stage (if you are curious you can have
a look here
http://kairos.smartmobili.com/ but don't be surprised if it doesn't
work and please
do not use IE for now).
 From my personal analysis that I am sure is incomplete we have the
following options to handle
emails storage and cache:

1) Do not use a cache and rely on dovecot performance to retrieve
email's header in real time.
    Actually don't know if it's that simple because we might need to
have a transformed version
    of emails to be able to display them more easily in the webmail. In
this case this option is
    not really possible.

2) Use new dovecot-2.1 imap backend and develop a kind of dummy imap
server listening to a custom port
    and storing emails inside a mongoDB database. Advantage is it allow
replication very easily.

3) Wait for dovecot2.x to implement a NoSQL storage. Will it happen
soon ?

If you have other suggestions or ideas I would be happy to hear them.

Vincent R.