[Dovecot] About using Dovecot indexes with Thunderbird/kmail

Anton Aylward Anton.Aylward at antonaylward.com
Tue Sep 20 23:03:39 EEST 2011

I have Dovecot running well on my Mandriva mail hub, handing out IMAP to
the household LAN.  This is 1.2.15.  Eventually I'll upgrade the OS and
get 2.x, but this is working fine.

So this question is really about the mail readers I use and how they
make use of Dovecot.

I have Thunderbird on my laptop and KMail2 on my desktop.

Dovecot indexes.  GOOD!
The trouble is that the mail readers want their own indexes :-(

I wish that Thunderbird would NOT index mail on my laptop, but it does.
  I wish Kmail2 would not use nepomuk/akonadi to index the mail but it
does.  Why can't they both believe the indexes used by Dovecot?

Is this an unreasonable request?
--
"We stand behind all of our products, except for the manure spreader."
  -- Corporate motto of an equipment manufacturer